This gorgeous chocolate cake is totally my lifesaver when it comes to birthdays and special events. It is so amazingly moist and moorish, it pleases even those straight edge folk who don’t want a bar of healthy cooking!
My kids absolutely love it too as do all my nieces and nephews who are as little as 2 years old so it gets the thumbs up all round.
This cake is full of healthy ingredients so can be happily eaten several times a week or made into cup cakes for school lunch boxes or to satisfy an evening chocolate craving!
I usually double the ingredients to make a nice big cake.
PALEO CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 2 cups of finely grated raw pumpkin
- 2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup of honey (or 1/2 a cup of maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil or ghee is dairy tolerant
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp aluminium free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup raw organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C line a cake tin with baking paper
- Whisk grated pumpkin, eggs, syrup, oil and vanilla with a fork in a bowl. Sift dry ingredients over the bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the baking tin and smooth top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in tin and turn out onto a rack until cold.
- Ice with frosting (see icing recipe below)
- Garnish with dehydrated buckwheat (see pic), grated almonds or edible flowers
- Refrigerate till icing is set
- Keeps well in fridge for up to a week and also freezes well.
- 1 cup of soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup of organic cocoa or cacao powder
- 100 g cacao butter melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or 3 tablespoons of honey
- Juice of 1 small lemon or lime
- Blend together till creamy
- Spread over cooled cake
This recipe is adapted from www.84thand3rd.com and oil tribe http://www.oiltribe.co.nz/paleo-chocolate-cake/
x x x