This lovely recipe is both gluten and grain free, making it a fantastic substitute for standard processed bread. Our bodies treat processed grains in same way as they do sugar. Processed grains elevate blood sugar levels, causing our biggest fat storing hormone insulin, to be released. So if your trying to loose weight, improve your digestion and get clear youthful skin, then this is a wonderful bread alternative for you.
The coconut contains good fats to nourish the immune system, gut, hair and skin. The eggs are an excellent source of iron and b vitamins and the sea salt provides essential minerals so our cells can communicate optimally.
– 300 g jar of coconut butter (I recommend the ceres organics brand available from health food stores)
– 5 organic eggs
– 1/4 of a cup of coconut oil
– 1/2 a teaspoon of sea salt
– 1 teaspoon of aluminium free baking soda
– Empty entire jar of coconut butter into a mixing bowl
– Add eggs, melted coconut oil, baking soda and sea salt
– Beat all ingredients together till no lumps remain and mixture is smooth
– Pour mixture into a lined cake tin
– Cook at 180 degrees celsius for 20-30mins or until knife comes out clean
– Allow to cool and slice as desired
– Keeps well in fridge
Add one tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to make a sweet coconut bread option.
This recipe is adapted from “Heal Your Gut” recipe book by Hilary Boynton http://shop.gapsaustralia.com.au/the-heal-your-gut-cookbook-nutrient-dense-recipes-for-intestinal-health-using-the-gaps-diet/